Skincare Review | Deciem The Ordinary ~ Salicylic Acid 2% Solution


Review of Deciem The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Solution

Hello beauties! Remember that before this, I have shared about the effectiveness of The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution overcoming crazy tiny bumps around my cheek area? If it was about the use of alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) product, today's post is about my experience with their beta-hydroxy acid (BHA) product, called as The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Solution.

Before going into it, let me tell you that The Ordinary is actually a popular brand from Deciem and Deciem is a humble and happy umbrella of good beauty brands focused on advanced functional beauty. There are other popular brands reside under Deciem which are Niod, Hylamide, Chemistry Brand, Stemm, Fountain, HIF, AB Crew and Esho. Deciem works on the principle of doing everything others don't do and it is changing the world of beauty based on this principle.

More interesting, all Deciem products, across all brands including The Ordinary, are free of parabens, sulphates, mineral oil, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, animal oils, coal tar dyes, formaldehyde, mercury and oxybenzone. Deciem also does not test on animals and does not pay others to do so. For this reason, none of their brands are sold in mainland China since such sales require animal testing for registration purposes.


Review of Deciem The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Solution
Deciem The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Solution.


Now let's talk about today's product 🤓. Have you use any BHA product on your skin? Do share with me what kind of experience did you faced when using it for the first time. Actually, today's post is about my first attempt with BHA product! I used this product to treat acne that suddenly popped in and reproduced successfully around my chin area 🙄.


Review of Deciem The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Solution
Deciem The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Solution.


📍 pH value:

The pH of this product is approximately 3.2~4.0.

📍 Contraindication

This formula should not be used on sensitive, peeling or compromised skin because it can dry out the skin more thus giving adverse effects.

📍 Sunburn alert:

  • This product contains a beta-hydroxy acid (BHA) that may increase the skin's sensitivity to the sun and particularly the possibility of sunburn.
  • Use a sunscreen, wear protective clothing, and limit sun exposure while using this product and for a week afterwards.

📍 Highlighted ingredient:

  • 2% Salicylic Acid
- One type of beta-hydroxy acid (BHA) that can penetrate deeper into the stratum corneum layer, dissolving skin debris that clogs the pores which causing acne and skin blemishes.
- It acts as an anti-inflammatory and also helps red inflamed acne go away faster.
  • Witch Hazel (Hamamelis Virginiana Leaf Water)
- Acts as an astringent, causing skin tissues to contract in order to help shrink pores, while also soothing the skin and relieving inflammation.

📍 Claim:

Exfoliates the inside walls of pores to fight the appearance of blemishes and for better visible skin clarity with continued use.


Review of Deciem The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Solution
List of ingredients.


📍 How to use:

  • Use in the AM and PM. **I usually use after cleansing** 
  • Apply a small dot directly on spots for visible improvement or apply a small amount over the face to maintain visible clarity with continued use. 
  • Avoid the eye contour and contact with eyes. 
  • Patch testing prior to use is advised: Apply product to a small area once a day for three days to test if you are sensitive to this product. 
  • Start with one application daily. If dryness or peeling occurs reduce application to once a day or every other day. 
  • If you develop severe irritation, hives, swelling of eyes and mouth, blistering, or difficulty breathing, rinse off, cease use and consult a physician right away. 
  • Keep out of reach of children.


Review of Deciem The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Solution
Claim


📍 Packaging:

It comes in a frosted glass bottle with a dropper as dispenser.

📍 Capacity:

Its capacity provided per bottle is 30ml.

📍 Texture:

It has a clear viscous, gloopy water-gel texture.

📍 Scent:

I find it is unscented!

📍 Application:

It spreads easily on my skin but it forms temporary white lathery texture or white foam while massaging it on skin. This formation somehow bring its absorption to be a bit slow, but not too slow, it will only be quicker if I keep continue massaging and patting it on skin fast. Post application, it leaves my skin a little bit sticky which completely disappears after applying other next skincare products.


Review of Deciem The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Solution
Packaging.

Review of Deciem The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Solution
Packaging.

Review of Deciem The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Solution
Packaging.

Review of Deciem The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Solution
Texture.


📌 Review of Deciem The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Solution

My chin area suddenly was revisited by uninvited guest, the most hated guest ever! Until now, I don't really know what had caused it. The most last new product that I have incorporated in my skincare routine is 3w Clinic Intensive Uv Sunblock Cream, but I have been using it for months, that can't be the culprit 🤔.

I didn't want to waste my time thinking about the culprit hahaha so I just used this salicylic acid solution to treat that acne. As a beginner, it was instructed to start with low frequency of use, so for the first two weeks, I started with three times of use per week. I started using it as a spot treatment, patting it on acne only. Guess what happen?

This product seemed to push all the pus out of the pores, giving the acne time to get mature before bursting out the pus and shrinking out the wounds. It was quite hurt too, throbbing acne pain! Yeah I admit that the condition of my chin before the acne bursting out the pus was really really really disgusting. Swollen pus everywhere all over my chin  hahahahaha. I did not even dare to look my skin in the mirror for a longer time and I wished to suddenly get a talkable magic mirror telling me that I'm the prettiest person in the Earth 😂!

On the week after, I didn't feel any throbbing acne pain anymore but the acne were still there, didn't burst its pus yet. Buttttttttttt, I didn't know what was going on with me until I could apply this product for the whole face at that night hahahahaha! I think I was semi-conscious back then 🤣! Then tomorrow in the morning, I woke up with new acne around my forehead, front cheek and nose! They really made their living hometown. Quite ugly 🙄! Acne successfully stressed me out hahaha!

However, I kept using it, for once every two days, and as a spot treatment only. After about 3 weeks, all that acne have rested in peace. Such a scary experience! Once the acne were completely gone, I switch to regular AHA exfoliation routine in order to lighten the acne scars followed up by The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% serum in order to keep maintaining the skin condition.

You must be wonder on how it feels when putting this product on acne wounds right? Although it is an acid solution, it actually does not give any tingling sensation, it will not turn your skin into red at all. Instead, it soothes irritation and reduce redness that caused by acne. About acne shrinking, of course it does not make acne to disappear overnight but I have noticed that it successfully controls excess oil on my skin plus the acne get mature, burst and dry quicker than usual. I even noticed dead skin cells resulted from dried acne came of easily while I was having my oil cleanser.

Although this product work effectively in treating acne on my skin, I however would like to remind you that, this product is absolutely not a medicine. It may work well for those with oily skin type and are not experiencing extensive or persistent acne because it primarily balances oil production of skin thus controlling and reducing acne. But extensive or persistent acne definitely needs a different treatment with the use of specific acne treatment products. So, if you are fighting extensive or persistent acne, consult a physician is the best act ever you should do so that you can get the most effective medicine to treat the acne. Remember that this product is not a replacement for the gold standard acne treatment products.

Enough for acne area. For non-problematic area, I can feel my skin has become softer and smoother just with one night of use. I'm satisfied upon touching my skin, feel like a baby butt 🤭!

Overall, I think this product will never go wrong for those with oily and acne prone skin, in condition without extensive or persistent acne. It certainly works wonder and is so worth it. Although I feel disturbed by the formation of temporary white leathery texture or white foam, I will keep using it because it has given my skin drastic changes, my skin have become softer, smoother and less oily which is good for controlling acne visits. It certainly works wonder making that one downside can be ignored!

📌 Pros:

👍 Can be bought with price starting from RM35.00 per bottle, with its great effectiveness, I think it's price is cheap.
👍 Frosted bottle, its content can be observed if it is going to run out.
👍 Spreads very easily on skin.
👍 Unscented.
👍 Good in exfoliating dead skin cells and treating acne for oily and acne prone skin.
👍 Does not give any tingling sensation.
👍 Does not turn skin into red at all.
👍 Soothe irritation and reduce redness that caused by acne.
👍 Good in balancing oil production of skin.
👍 Quicken the acne to get mature, burst and dry.
👍 Dead skin cells resulted from dried acne come of easily.
👍 Skin become softer and smoother.

📌 Cons:

👎 Glass packaging, which does easily broken when hitting hard objects.
👎 Forms temporary white lathery texture or white foam.
👎 A bit slow absorption.
👎 Post application, it gives the skin a little bit sticky finishing.
👎 Not a medicine for extensive or persistent acne.
👎 Can dry out the skin out if skin hydration and moisture is not monitored.

📌 Interested? Check it out here:

Comments

Skin Nepenthe Beauty Blog

Popular Posts